So holiday season is well and truly upon us. Some of us may have already to visit a sunny white isle, others are on the countdown. Not to mention the nice ‘couple’ of days we have had in the UK.
As annoying as it is (purely as we know tanning is not the best for you!) most of us look better with a tan. If I had a pound for every time someone said I ‘looked well’ post a bit of sun, I’d be rich (ok, I’d be able to put that money towards therapy for realising I look unwell the majority of the year).
Fake tans are getting better every year and spray tanning looks like a trend that is not likely to go anytime soon, but there really is just nothing like the real thing.
Here are our tips at getting an even tan (as healthy as possible) and for supporting its longevity.
- Get body ready – this means exfoliate well (particularly around the knees and elbows) and moisturise to get your body into the best possible condition before you go. Body brushing is a good idea too; supposedly helps banish the cellulite. Do this a month before and increase the amount of times per week you do before you go away.
- Add carrot powder to you protein shakes or when juicing. Carrots are full of beta carotene which is a skin-friendly nutrient that is converted to Vitamin A inside the body. Not only does it assist in repairing the skin tissues it provides protection against the sun’s harsh rays. The antioxidants and carotenoids protect and condition the skin to increase its immunity against the sun and heal sunburns. Unbelievably consumption of carrot juice in summer acts as a natural sun block.
- Start off with a high factor and work your way down over your holiday stay. It is important to keep using high factors where required. Using a factor 30 on the face and wearing a hat means that your face will be protected and let’s face it, us women have the luxury of wearing foundation and bronzer to match our body as our tan deepens.
- Use good helpings of after sun and moisturise. Keep applying after sun well after you have come in from the sun. Even using a moisturising shower cream to wash instead of shower gel will ensure that no natural oils are unnecessary stripped locking in your tan for longer.
- Drink water and lots of it. Keep your body hydrated which on top of a list of benefits to you and your body – will ensure that your skin is less likely to flake.
Happy sun bathing kids!